(From Arlene - only 2 more weeks until Sister Welch returns home. This is her final email message. The young performing missionaries won't be able to email from this point forward. Sister Welch has said in the past that letters are like food and water! If you have a minute and want to drop her a note, her address is YPM Sister Amanda Welch, P.O. Box 215, Nauvoo, IL 62354)
Hello!!!!!!!!!
I absolutely LOVED getting your package!... Your letters may
or may not have made me tear up a bit...! And it was so sweet of you to include
that iPod! I love having it, even for the short amount of time we're here! You
are the BEST!! And the pictures, too. All the YPMs were impressed by your
photos. You are so talented!! They look so good! So fun to look through all of
them! And you even got a picture of our directors and tech Elders! Everyone
here always comments on how nice and wonderful you are and how much they loved
getting to know you. To which I reply, "I know, isn't my family the
best?!"
I have flight info! Because sadly, I'm only here for two
more weeks... :( My flight number is Southwest 816, and I arrive in Phx at 5:55
Do we have an appointment set up for me to be released? I
promise I'm still focused as a missionary, I'm just trying to make sure we've
covered all the bases!
Speaking of our bishopric... I guess I can speak in
church... Just know I don't really have a lot of extra time to write the talk
here, but I'll think about it... Are we sure I can't just sing in church
instead? I'm really good at inviting the Spirit that way, especially after
spending a whole summer of learning how :) I kid... Kind of....
I'm sad to hear that Grandma isn't doing too well... Uncle
Brad sent me a letter and told me both Grandma Renee and Grandma Black have had
accidents... So sad! Keep me updated!
DAD!! I briefly read the part of your email about Valhalla,
and I'm so glad everything worked out! So nice to see how the Lord helps us
work everything out when we are trying to do the right thing! I've seen a lot
of that here in Nauvoo. If you do your best and work hard, the Lord will make
sure everything happens the way it's supposed to. What a neat principle!
Oh man, I love you guys!
So... This is my last email... Next week, we'll be working
on the YPM sociable we perform for the site and temple missionaries before we
leave, so there won't be any time to email. Oh! I get to sing "Make Me
Whole" for it! I'll make sure to write down my experiences in my journal
so I can share it with you when I get home! Pray for me to have the Spirit.
If there has been one thing I've learned here in Nauvoo,
it's that the work is the most important thing, and that I really have very
little to do with it. I am just the instrument. If I am in the right place at
the right time, striving to do what the Lord has asked of me, He will place me
in the lives of people who need to hear what the Lord would have me say, and
vice versa. Sister Smith and I were talking about this last Sunday during a
break between groups on the Trail of Hope. Our words don't matter, it's all
about the Spirit. As long as we are open to it and the people listening are
open to it, He will be there and we will feel His presence. This was shown to
me right after our conversation when a Spanish-speaking group came to hear my
vignette. Sister Osorio--one of our tech sisters--was translating, and warned
me that she was going to translate while I delivered the piece, but to keep
going while she did so. It was insane! So many words were being spoken... so
many that I still am not sure if I said all the right ones! I prayed the whole
time for the Spirit to be felt, and that I would say the words I was called to.
I think it all worked out!
I love you so much! I love Nauvoo! I love the Holy Ghost! He
has born witness to me that this gospel is true! He has brought words to my
mouth so many times as a missionary, there is no way that he isn't real!
Someone said today in church, I think Sister Dahle, that the Holy Ghost is her
best friend. What a neat thought, that the holy ghost can be our best friend if
he is constantly with us. And he can be if we live worthily! I know this gospel
is true, that Christ is our Savior and that He lives, and loves us! I'm so
grateful for the Atonement, and that I can return to live with Him and our
Father in Heaven again because of it! Without the Atonement, resurrection
wouldn't be as awesome, right? We wouldn't be able to be exalted beings... We
would just suffer. How lucky we are to have an Older Brother who loves us so
much that he would take upon Him our sins, so that we can live with Him again!
ah!!! It's so true! I feel it every day as I work and live here in the City
Beautiful! I love it so much! It's hard... Exhausting really. But so worth it!
I love the gospel and I love you!!!! I'll see you soon!!
xoxo Sister Welch
p.s. I'm looking forward to your letter Em! I'll (hopefully)
write you all back this week! Yay letters!!






No comments:
Post a Comment