Followers

Wednesday, June 12, 2013


May 30, 2013

(Excerpts from a letter to Arlene)

 Sorry my emails are so confusing.  I end up with only 15-ish minutes to write an email to you (after checking my email) and I’m so frazzled and tired I hardly remember what I wrote.  And there’s no time to check what I’ve included to make sure I put in everything I wanted into the email…sorry.  And for the Trail of Hope, I’m in cast 1.

 Welp.  Shows are going.  Everyone is sick.  Well, all the sisters are.  Some had strep.  Most have just bad colds.  Which one am I?  I’ll never tell! :)  Don’t worry, I’m healthy.

 
 
 


I love all the leaders here.   We are taken care of very well.  So much love from the Camps, the Wortleys, the Myers (the wonderful cooks that make sure there are popsicles and skittles for this peanut intolerant Sister), and the Mursets (the YPM seamstress and her husband, the best!  Our costumes are so beautiful!).

 


 
 
 
 
 
 Speaking of allergies… one of our Elders, Elder Partridge, had an amazing experience.  He is basically allergic to every fruit and vegetable ever.  And he’s hypoglycemic.  And asthmatic.  The other day, earlier this week, he had the impression to ask for a blessing that specifically asked to take away his asthma.  That’s crazy, right?  So he took a few days to ponder it and gain a bit more faith.  Which is crazy because he is the most faithful, spiritual person I’ve ever met.  But then, he asked another Elder to give him this specific blessing.  Elder Leavitt (giving the blessing) felt impressed to say that Elder Partridge would not be hindered by any previous medical conditions or problems he had before Nauvoo.  Weird, right?  What did that mean?  Well, at lunch the next day – which was composed primarily of fruits and vegetables – he thought “Try some”.  What?   I’m allergic.  “Try some”.  So he did.  He ate a strawberry.  Nothing happened.  So he ate another.  Nothing.  So he kept going.  Nothing!  And this is a guy that goes into anaphylactic shock.  Epipen and everything.  Nothing happened.  It is a true miracle!  It’s so fun to watch him rediscover fruits and vegetables.  He ate two huge plates of salad yesterday.  Best Nauvoo miracle!

 Everyone here is so great.  The Elders are so strong and the sisters are a great example.  I know we were all called of God to be here together this summer.  It becomes more apparent every day.  I LOVE all the YPM’s!
 
 

 

The band YPM sisters are so sweet!  They serve everyone.  All the time.  One sister, Sister Reid, just got her mission call to Argentina Neugin mission.  Three more are waiting for their calls.  So exciting!

 Tell Daddy I love him.  And sorry I haven’t personally replied to him.  It’s taken me three days to write this letter!  If he emails, I will reply to his email first on Sundays.  :)

 I love you so much!  Thank you for all your love and support!  The work is great here!  The temple is beautiful!  It’s humid, but I’m happy!  I can’t wait for you to come feel the Spirit and see our Trail of Hope.  It’s probably the best thing we do here.  I love you!

 


Love, Sister Welch

 p.s.  Emma got her permit!  Tell her to quit growing up!  And be careful!  And don’t go more than 5 miles over!  And that I love her.
 

 p.p.s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don’t think I had enough of those, so… there ya go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Email from Sister Amanda Welch 6/9/13

Mommy!!!!
Sister Smith and Sister Welch in costume
Fun story about moms... My companion's mom surprised her and flew out to Nauvoo for the weekend! How awesome is that! Sister Smith's parents initially told her that they couldn't come out due to finances and excluding family if just her parents came... But, miracles happen, and her mom and aunt were able to fly out! It was so sweet... She first came down Trail of Hope. We were doing cast 1, so Sister Smith's post and my post are next to each other.  At a moment when I was free, Sister Camp came up and told me, "Just a heads up, your companion's mom is in this next group. She flew out to surprise her!" It was so touching! I picked her out when she came to my station. It was very special, because my journey entry from Margaret Gay Judd Clawson talks about the faith of her mother during trying times.  As I spoke Sister Clawson's words, I realized, in a way, I was telling the story of Sister Smith's mom. She was so strong and supportive and had such faith when Sister Smith was undergoing her chemotherapy.  It was so special to get to share that with her. And then I watched as Sister Smith the younger saw Sister Smith the elder after performing the vignette for her group. It was so sweet. She just stared at her mom until her mom came to giver her a big hug. I could see their silhouettes in the tiki torch light. Such a sweet reunion. It made me even more excited to see you, and that you can see me be a missionary!!!
Sister Welch with her missionary companion, Sister Smith

 
Ok, onto your questions... Trail of hope... It depends on what night you come see the trail whether I will be in it or not. But I'd love for you to go even when I'm not in it. It's the most powerful thing we do. And maybe I'll get to be your company captain and lead you down the trail!!

It's getting more crowded here now that school's out, but I think you're safe. Pageant is when it gets CRAZY!!!
I love that you love sending me stuff, because I love getting stuff!!
I DO get ribbons, Sister Murset keeps talking to me about that. I think she's working on it. It is the plan for me to get bows for Just Plain Anna-Amanda.

FOLK DANCERS ARE HERE!!! I love seeing them, but it's so weird. Slightly takes me out of being a missionary because my real life and my Nauvoo life collide... But it's fun! We get to see their fireside tonight, and their show on Tuesday night. So excited!




Today we're going on a tour of the Community of Christ sites with their historian, Loch... Michai? I can't spell. But I'm excited. And we're having dinner with the Sister band YPMS! Good Sunday... But that means I have to go!! I love you!! We might get more time to email you tonight... But if not, I LOVE YOU!! And the gospel is true! Christ is our Savior and He loves us! I love sacred Nauvoo!!!!!

xoxo Sister Welch
YPM Sister Amanda Welch
P.O. Box 215
Nauvoo, IL  62354
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment